This article briefly describes how to set up your D2L Account Preferences.
Use the Account Settings tool to customize and manage your personal preferences for things such as your online status, Learning Environment's appearance, accessibility options, language and region, Discussions settings, and Email options.
Access the Account Settings tool
- Click Account Settings from your personal menu on the minibar.
- Use the tabs across the top of the page to view and edit display options:
- Account Settings
Note: Some account settings might not be available depending on how your institution has set up Learning Environment.
- Settings on this tab are not related to a specific tool.
- Enables you to change the email address where you receive system notifications or change your login password.
- Adjusting the font face and font size changes the default font and size of text in the system. It does not affect images, documents, and other objects such as math equations.
- The Show secondary window as options enables you to set secondary windows as pop-ups instead of dialog boxes. This setting helps screen readers and other assistive technologies separate the content of the secondary window from the main window. If you are using assistive technology such as a screen reader, we strongly recommend showing secondary windows as pop-ups.
HTML Editor Settings
- Provides the option for you to turn off the rich text editor. The HTML editor has many additional rich text features that might be difficult to navigate with assistive technology. This option simplifies pages that have text fields, while still allowing you to include HTML content.
- Select Optimize video presentation for programmatically-driven assistive technologies if you use assistive techonology, such as a screen reader, to navigate the web. This option ensures that your assistive technology can detect embedded videos; it does not affect the accessibility of specific video players.
Locale & Language
- Preferred Locale and Language Sets which locale to use for screen orientation, text, and graphics in the system. The options in the drop-down list correspond to the locale options available at your institution. Administrative staff and course designers can override your preferences for specific pages and courses.
- Clock Sets whether time displays in 24-hour or 12-hour clock format.
- First Day of the Week Sets which day appears first in your calendar.
- Date Sets the display format of dates in the system.
- Number Format Sets the display format of numbers in the system.
- Percentage Format Sets the display format of percentages in the system.
- Sets all dates that include times in Learning Environment to correspond with the time zone you specify.
- Online Status Sets whether you appear offline or online to other users when you are logged into the system.
- Click Revoke Access if you want to force all your applications or devices to renew their authentication. This ensures that others cannot, for example, access your grades or send emails as you if you lose a mobile device or discover that a linked application is compromised.
- Show the discussion topics list Sets whether you want to see a list of topics in a left panel when reading messages.
- Show the search bar Sets whether you want to show a search bar in the Message List view.
- Show the preview pane If you are not showing message text on the main page, this option enables you to specify whether to see the full message in a preview pane at the bottom of the page, or to see the full message in a secondary window.
- Display deleted messages Sets whether you want to display deleted message posts composed by you or others in the Message List view.
- Default Message List View Specifies how you want to visually represent the message hierarchy within the Message List view. Threaded View indents sub-topics underneath their parent topics, whereas Un-threaded View does not.
- Message List Style Specifies whether to show the text for discussion messages on the main page, or just the titles.
- Message Fields to Display You can choose to also display the Org Defined ID for the message author and the Message ID of the discussion messages in the Message List view.
- Character Limits Specifies the character limit of each message subject in the Message List view.
- Reply Settings Sets whether you want to include original messages with your replies.
- Track activity for messages sent to internal email addresses Tracks the status of sent messages (either read or unread), and when messages are replied to and/or forwarded. The View Recipient Activity link appears on messages in the Sent Mail folder.
- Include original message in email replies Sets whether to include original messages with your replies.
- Send a copy of each outgoing message to [specified email address] Sends a copy of all the emails you send to a specified address. Click the Change email address link to specify the address to which you want to send copies. Changing this address will change your external address for all mail sent from the Desire2Learn application.
- Save a copy of each outgoing message to the 'Sent Mail' folder Saves a copy of your sent messages to a folder for convenient record keeping.
- 'Reply to' Email Address If users reply to email you've sent from the Email tool, the reply-to address you specify appears in their "To:" field.
- Email Signature Create an email signature to include at the bottom of your email messages.
- Show the Message Preview pane Enables you to browse emails by displaying them in a preview pane at the bottom of your message list.
- Show the Folder List pane Sets whether you see a list of folders in a left panel when reading messages.
- Mark messages as read when viewed in the Message Preview pane Using the preview pane to read your messages will mark them as "read".
- Show internal email addresses in the Address Book Internal addresses for your system contacts will appear in the Address Book.
- Show external email addresses in the Address Book External addresses for your system contacts will appear in the Address Book.
- Allow filtering messages and contacts on group enrollment Controls whether groups and sections are listed in the Filter By field in the message list and the address book.
- Forward incoming messages to an alternate email account Enter an address into this field to redirect email received in the Email tool to another address. Choose how you want to handle messages within the Email tool after they forward to your email address.
- Default Interface Sets whether you see the basic or advanced metadata view by default when you view or edit metadata for an object in Learning Repository. The basic metadata view simplifies actions and fields into understandable categories and displays only the fields in the default metadata language. The advanced metadata view organizes fields into an expandable/collapsible tree structure and provides capability for multiple languages.
- Basic Interface Display Sets whether metadata categories appear expanded or collapsed by default in the basic metadata view when you view or edit metadata for an object in Learning Repository.